After VE Day the thoughts of many yachtsmen, who were not otherwise engaged overseas, turned to sailing and it was reported in the local press on 28th July 1945 that some optimistic owners on the Crouch are beginning to fit out and on August 11th the Admiralty announced:
”… after 21 August 1945 sailing and rowing in craft up to two tons will be permitted anywhere in the Rivers Crouch and Roach, subject to the condition that a wide berth must be given to all landing craft whether moored or underway…”
This date was pre-empted by a small group at Creeksea who organised a miniature regatta on August 5 and 6 for three RBODs, IRENE, ONYX and TETELA. The ringleader was P. Sabel and among the helmsmen/crews were several well known Burnham names, including Horace Pitcher, Norman Dallimore and Bob Crewe. The course Tideways Hard Creeksea Fairway Canewdon (twice round).
VJ Day finally dawned on August 14, 1945 and on August 18 the Burnham Sailing Clubs Wednesday evening races returned with 20 starters in two classes, the RBODs were racing again.
The men’s side of the Club reopened on Saturday, October 27 and all the Clubs premises were de-requisitioned just before Christmas. On December 15, 1945 an Annual General Meeting was held and the Committee charged with returning the Club to normal was elected:
President: Hartley Straker
Vice Presidents: F. B. Pitcher, Stephen Herring and Glyn Terrell
Commodore: C. C. Booth
Vice Commodore: C. Marley
Rear Commodore: Dr. L. H. B. tight
Hon. Sailing Secretary: John Booth